Motorcyclist visibility – After the sun goes down, there is obviously less light, even urban well-lit areas. This can have a significant impact on a motorcyclist’s ability to see other objects, road hazards, other vehicles, pedestrians, or anything else that may be in their path. Nighttime visibility may be further impacted in situations where there is adverse weather such as rain or fog, making for a particularly dangerous situation.
Motorist visibility – Other drivers’ visibility is also worse at night than it is during the day. Due to their smaller size and lesser surface area, motorcycles are already harder to drivers to see, even in ideal conditions. At night, motorcyclists can be particularly difficult for other motorists to see, potentially causing serious accidents.
Failure to account for riding experience and ability – Diminished visibility distance may result in a situation where a driver is surprised by sharp turns or other traffic that they would have been able to see earlier had they been riding during daylight hours. While more experienced riders may be able to easily deal with these kinds of surprises, those with less experience may become involved in serious accidents that may cause injury.
Driver fatigue – Driver fatigue2 can affect all motorists and can be one of the most significant risks associated with riding a motorcycle at night. Driver fatigue has been shown to negatively affect a person’s reaction time, memory, judgment, and motor control, each of which is essential in the safe operating of a motorcycle.
- Avoiding night riding whenever possible, and only riding at night after they feel completely comfortable on their bike and only during clear weather conditions
- Always wearing bright colored or retro-reflective clothing when riding at night
- Never ride after consuming alcohol or drugs
- Never ride when you are feeling particularly fatigued or sleepy
- Always ensure that all your motorcycle’s lights and signals are functional and carry replacement bulbs in your vehicle’s cargo compartment
Clearwater, FL 33756